About Gordon Wiebe
In the Summer of 2002, my wife and I moved to Shannon Lake with our two sons. We were initially drawn to the neighbourhood because of the sound construction of the development, the friendly neighbours and the quality of education that was then being offered at Shannon Lake Elementary School under the leadership of Randy McBride. We were pleased with the teachers they had, the instruction they received and the way the staff engaged the parents and the local community.
Both sons attended Shannon Lake Elementary School and Constable Neil Bruce Middle School. Our oldest son graduated from Mount Boucherie Secondary School and our youngest is now completing his final year at MBSS.
I’ve worked in the financial industry for 23 years as an Investment wholesaler, Advisor & compliance officer. I currently have a home office from where I work privately and as an Independent Advisor & Underwriter (Options & Annuities).
Since moving to the Westside, I’ve served on several local boards, including (projects listed on page below):
- the Westside Youth Soccer Association
- the Shannon Lake Neighbourhood Association
- the Friends of the Westbank Library
- the #909 Peregrine Air Cadet Squadron board
- the Westside-Kelowna BC Liberal Constituency Association
Since 2011, I’ve been a member of the Kelowna Roundtable – a citizen’s group that hears presentations by politicians, civic & community leaders and engages in public policy discussions at all levels of government.
I believe in democracy and a political system that is open to all citizens. I further believe that being active politically is one way to help forge a better community and honour the memory of service men & women who’ve gone before and sacrificed much. Since 2008, I’ve been involved in the following political campaigns:
- Fall 2008 – Nomination of Ben Stewart as the BC Liberal Nominee for Westside-Kelowna
- May 2009 – Election of Ben Stewart as the Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) for the riding of Westside – Kelowna. I served as Ben’s “Get out the Vote – Chair.” (The GOTV Chair is charged with analyzing local voting trends/patterns. Then, working with the campaign team, we attempt to address local issues and approach neighbourhoods & polls with the limited resources of a campaign).
- March 2011 – Campaigned for the federal Liberal nomination for Okanagan-Coquihalla (unsuccessful)
- February 2011 – Campaigned with our local riding executive for Kevin Falcon‘s BC Liberal Leadership bid
- Summer 2011 – Campaigned on the HST Referendum for the NO side
- Fall 2011 – Campaigned for Tina Pomponio for SD#23 School Trustee
- May 2013 – Campaigned in Election of Ben Stewart as the MLA for the riding of Westside – Kelowna
- July 2013 – Campaigned for Premier Christy Clark in local by-election
- Nov 2014 – Served as the Campaign Mgr for Councillor Duane Ophus
- Nov 2014 – Campaigned for Tina Pomponio for SD#23 School Trustee
- Nov 2014 – Campaigned for Lee-Ann Tiede for SD#23 School Trustee
- Fall 2015 – Served as the GOTV Chair for the Dan Albas campaign
- Fall 2016 – Campaigned on the “YES” to City Hall Referendum (board member)
- May 2017 – Election of Christy Clark as the MLA for riding of Kelowna-Westside. Served as the GOTV